HL66021 Hella 5-3/4" Round H4 E-Code Headlamp with city light
Sealed beam headlamps were introduced in the 1930s to provide a consistant quality of headlamps. Prior to that, headlamp design was left up to the vehicle manufacturer and lighting ability varried greatly.
The problem with sealed beams is that the lens, reflector and fillaments are all part of a bonded assembly. When the filament burns out, the entire lamp is discarded. Consequently, the sealed beam has become a commodity. As long as it meets the DOT standard, the only thing that matters is low cost. The DOT standard allows for a very loose pattern with a wide transition from dark to light. Many sealed beams still conform to the antiquated pre 2000 DOT standard that required 20% of the light go up to illuminate overhead signs.
All of this results in lamps that dazzle oncoming traffic and at the same time supply poor illumination of the road. The sharp low beam cutoff of Hella ECE lamps makes the areas that are supposed to be dark darker and the lighted areas to be brighter. We say that our lamps are four times brighter on low beam and twice as bright on high beam. Refer to the Isolux drawings at left.
The City light is a European thing. The big cities of Europe are very well lit and many restrict the use of low beams to reduce light polution. To make cars more visable to pedestrians, The City or Position Light is required to be on whenever the ignition is on.
- Exact Replacement for 4000, 4040, 5506 H5006, H5006LL, and H5009 Sealed beams.
- Low beam transition from dark to light in less than an inch, at 25 feet.
- Optical Quartz Lens.
- Silverized Polished Aluminum Reflector.
- Replaceable H4 twin fillament bulb allows use of modern high performance bulb technology.
- Direct replacement for sealed beam.
- Tight Pattern allows optical aiming.
- City Light with 5 watt bulb
- Sold for off road and competition use only (;-)
- One 5-3/4" Round ECE H4 Conversion Hi/Lo Beam Headlamp.
- One Rubber Dust Boot.
- City light bulb holder and bulb
|Headlamp Features||Halogen, City Light|
|Headlamp Beam||Low Beam, High Beam|